St. John's U.C.C. Cemetery (McWilliams)
The cemetery is located at 4403 'O' Road, 1.0 mile south of the intersection of Highway 128 & 44th Road.
"According to church records and recollections of the older members, it was in the years 1860-1870 that a number of families came to McWilliams Precinct, Otoe County, Nebraska. The majority had been members of an Evangelical Church in their former homes. Not having an Evangelical Church within reasonable distance, they met in the homes on Sunday.
On January 2, 1871, a business meeting was held. Those present were J. Frederick Pahde, Frank Doermann, H. Moritz Damme, John J. Echoff and Henry Holtgrewe. They agreed to organize a church and adopted a constitution and by-laws. The adopted the name 'Evangelical St. John's Congregation.' For a meeting place, they made use of a dwelling located on a farm owned by Frank Doermann.
On November 24, 1884, a deed was made by H. Moritz Damme and his wife, Minnie Damme, conveying 10 acres being the South West 10 acres of Southwest quarter of Section 11, Township 7, Range 12, Otoe County, McWilliams Precinct, Nebraska, for site of St. John's Evangelical Church and parsonage. The cemetery was platted and the same was maintained by the congregation." (1)
Burial Listing: A listing of burials was submitted on 31 Dec 2005, and updated last on 26 Mar 2006. This information can be found at:
Point of Contact:
St. John's United Church of Christ
4403 O Road
Talmage, NE 68448
(1) Peterson, Esther. Otoe County, Nebraska, 1983: Otoe County History. [Nebraska City, Neb.]: Otoe County Historical Society and Otoe County Museum Society, 1983. 66. Print.