St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery
This cemetery is located at the intersection of 56th and 'O' roads, on the SE corner of the road.
"Two miles west and one mile south of Paul, Nebraska atop one of the highest points in Otoe County stands St. Joseph Catholic Church. This church was built to replace the much smaller building a few feet west of the present church. The former church still stands and is used for funeral lunches and social functions. These two buildings along with the rectory are at the intersection of 56 and O Roads which is one mile south of Nebraska Highway 128.
On the east side of Road 56 across from the church is St. Joseph Cemetery. An acre of land for the cemetery was donated by Joseph Komma in 1878 the same year the first church was built. The cemetery was a silent witness to the construction of the present church whose cornerstone was laid on May 24, 1915. The cemetery has been enlarged twice since its beginning in 1878. Annually the average number of interments is approximately four according to Cemetery Board members Milton 'Bobby' Kreifels, Vernon 'Duke' Kreifels and Melvin Kreifels." (1)
Burial Listing: An incomplete listing of burials can be found at:
Point of Contact:
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
5592 O Road
Nebraska City, NE 68410
(1) Arends, Duane. "History of St. Joseph's Catholic Cemetery." (2008). Print.