This cemetery is located 0.4 miles east of CR 6 (43 Spur) on F Rd – North Side (Along NE HWY 2).
"On January 11th, 1873, a committee consisting of of D. Flowers, A.R. Reightmyer, and John O. Moore was named to select land for a new cemetery. The move was occasioned by the fact that the village of Palmyra had just recently relocated, just north of the recently laid railroad tracks, one mile west and one mile north of the Oregon Trail settlement. Two cemetery sites were offered to the committee; one adjoining the location previously selected for the St. Leo Cemetery, and the other was located across the road and up the hill to the east of St. Leo's.
The latter location was selected and purchased on May 18th, 1878, at ten dollars per acre for ten acres, the committee accepting subscriptions to pay for the site. 'Rosewood' was selected for the name, and each subscriber was given his choice of a lot there. Then to adorn the perfect contour of this land, where on a gentle slope, every square foot of land faces the rising sun, 300 native cedar trees were planted in and around the grounds. A shelter house was also built, and a Civil War memorial cannon and flagpole were placed on the lot by the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR).
The cannon remains there today, well kept, and every Palmyra child has gained a more vivid impression of their country's history by observing the annual Memorial Day services, which are enacted faithfully by veterans of all wars on this very lot." (1)
Burial Listing: A complete listing of burials can be found in the 'Rosewood Cemetery Burials' document listed on the left side of this page.*(Updated: 16 Apr 2011 by Barb Wilhelm)
Point of Contact:
(1) Halvorsen, Wilma. "History of Rosewood Cemetery." (2009). Print.