Rose Hill Cemetery
This cemetery is located 0.5 mile to the south of Douglas, Nebraska on State Highway Spur 66A, on the east side of the road. The cemetery is located on the north side of St. Martin's Catholic Cemetery.
"In the 1850's, several people were burned on the prairies from a prairie fire. They were buried on a hill that is now known as Rose Hill Cemetery. This is on a hill overlooking the town to the north. It has both a Protestant and Catholic site." (1)
"The Rose Hill Cemetery was started before 1890. It is located south of Douglas on top of a high hill. The Protestant cemetery on the north and St. Martin Catholic on the south. There used to be a fence between, but was taken out in 1965. The land was purchased from Joe Steel, Sr. Before 1900, there were several small cemeteries around thru the precinct, one located a half mile south of the present Rose Hill. It was a small plot with a creek around it, so there was no room for expansion. When the new one was formed, several burials were moved to lots located on the north part." (2)
Burials Listings: A complete listing of burials can be found in the 'Rose Hill Cemetery Burials' document listed on the left side of this page. *(Last updated: 3 Sep 2011 by Barbara Wilhelm)
Point of Contact:
Rose Hill Cemetery Association
944 S. 8th Rd.
Douglas, NE 68344-8942
(1) Brugman, Ardys. Otoe County, Nebraska, 1983: Otoe County History. [Nebraska City, Neb.]: Otoe County Historical Society and Otoe County Museum Society, 1983. 19. Print.
(2) Conkel, Erma. Otoe County, Nebraska, 1983: Otoe County History. [Nebraska City, Neb.]: Otoe County Historical Society and Otoe County Museum Society, 1983. 21. Print.