St. Paul's U.C.C. Cemetery (Osage)
The cemetery is located at 3288 'R' Road, 0.25 mile east of the intersection of 32nd and 'R' roads.
"St. Paul's Church of Osage has been a community landmark for over a century. It is located two miles north and one-half mile east of Cook. This is near the south edge of Osage Precinct and the Otoe-Johnson line. The early address of Osage, Otoe County, Nebraska was discontinued after the establishment of Cook. The church and adjoining cemetery are familiarly known as the Osage Church and the Osage Cemetery.
Many of the pioneers from Missouri, Ohio, Illinois and Iowa of German Evangelical background sought ministry to their spiritual needs. Rev. C. Hoffmeister of rural Council Bluffs, Iowa, a noted traveling preacher, held services in homes and the Osage (Dist. 49) Schoolhouse. Early January 1871, two new churches were organized - St. Paul's of Osage and St. John's of McWilliams Precinct. These two churches shared a minister for several years.
The thirteen charter members of St. Paul's Evangelical Church (Evangelische St. Paul's Germeinde) were: John Tangemann, John H. Mohrmann, Fritz Damme, Herman Wellensieck, Casper Wellensieck, W. Kruse, Louis Schacht, Louis Damme, F.H. Wellensieck, David Risser, Carl Kutcher, Martin Halfmann, and John Kuenning. These men and their families comprised the beginning congregation. In January 1872, eight acres of land were purchased from Fritz Damme. That year part of this land was laid out as a cemetery, the Osage Cemetery. The church, parsonage, and other buildings have stood here these many years. (1)
Burials Listings: A complete listing of burials has been compiled by the Otoe County Genealogical Society, and can be found in our 'Otoe County Cemeteries' CD-ROM, which is available for purchase on our Publications web page.
Point of Contact:
St. Paul's United Church of Christ
3288 R Road
Cook, NE 68329
(1) Schacht, Marvin. Otoe County, Nebraska, 1983: Otoe County History. [Nebraska City, Neb.]: Otoe County Historical Society and Otoe County Museum Society, 1983. 48. Print.